Pages

Building your business where there is no business

First of all pardon any mistakes I make in writing this post.
I'd been putting together a more personal and more well organized post but it doesn't seem to be happening today.
If anyone reading this knows me personally they know I am a determined self starter that will give up everything to make what I want happen.
I dreamed of one day having my place in the country. I worked long and hard to make that happen. I spent almost 20 years driving a truck to afford this beautiful farm. Now that I have it I struggle trying to make it a viable business capable of supporting me and my family.  In doing so I have given up ALOT of creature comforts.  We live very simply and somewhat primitively as you shall learn as the days progress and my writing becomes more regular.

When we first became full time farmers we followed the typical path.  We purchased livestock and built barns(note the order of that particular fiasco).  We then planted amazing gardens (about 2 full acres) plus smaller kitchen gardens around the house.  Having very good success with both the livestock and the gardens we then began to take our wares to the local farmers market.  Remember all of this started about 10 years ago.  Also remember that this is very rural central Illinois.  Being just a little too far from any large city we were forced to drive our products all over Illinois attending every farmers market we could find.  We would run ourselves ragged day in and day out through out the pleasant months trying to put back enough money to survive the harsh winters on the flat Illinois farm ground.  With any luck we made it through to the spring and began hustling again to build our business up using other peoples money in the form of a C.S.A (Community Supported Agriculture).  For anyone that doesn't know how much of a gamble that is please ask.  Taking on the responsibility of feeding not only yourselves but numerous other families that have invested their trust and hard earned money into your ability to provide them food through out the summer you are filling an already stressful spring with more pressure than anyone needs....

I'm going to continue this later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment